Sunday, May 20, 2012

Illustration Friday - SIGHT

"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has SIGHT but no vision."
                                                      - Helen Keller
An incredible quote from an amazing person.  As a young girl I read a lot about Helen Keller and her teacher Annie Sullivan - so inspiring!  I decided to participate in the Illustration Friday Challenge for the first time - the topic is SIGHT.
I started with this girl with large eyes - but wanted to do something different from what I've done in the past so I
covered her eyes with a piece of cardstock attached with repositional adhesive  (looks as if she is embarrassed to be seen in this blog post).
Then added a couple layers of watered down gesso.
NOTE TO SELF - In the future if I want to add gesso over an image that was colored partially with Neo-Color crayons then seal it first!  Otherwise the watery gesso will totally smear your colors! 
A little outline with a white paint pen really makes the eye stand out!
Some bookprint about eyes/sight and some washi tape made this the newest addition to my art journal.  Speaking of sight - this is a pic of our son Connor putting in his new contacts for the first time on Friday.  (Think it would help if he opens his eyes a little??)
Linking to Artists in Blogland Show and Tell Saturday #26 and Just Journals.

9 comments:

Viola said...

I really enjoyed this post! :) How smart of you! and awesome drawings and hair colors, skin colors..

It's so fun to see how the little white dot does to the eye, I think.

jen said...

Very, very cool. I actually really like the halo of color the gesso created by 'smearing'- happy accident in my book. :)

Jess S said...

love it! I didn't even notice that the colours had smudged a bit, but I think it totally works :D

Pia Drent said...

Enjoyed your progress pictures a lot. Welcome to illustration friday!

Terrie said...

Great journal page and very clever way to highlight the eyes. Thanks for sharing all the steps....

Marcia Beckett said...

That's so awesome.. Love the window to the eyes. Thanks for sharing with us at Just Journals!

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle, reminds me of through the looking glass for some reason. Funny about your son with his contacts. Brings back many memories. Thanks for sharing. Blessings Terri

Michelle said...

A very clever piece of art (as is most of your art). I love this. I think the smudged colours works really well, and you might choose to smudge in the future again! ;-)

Ric / Life N Canvas said...

Beautiful. Very creative works of art!! Love them all!