Friday, November 4, 2011

Art Journal - Leaves

A big weather front just went through these parts and now there are TONS of wet leaves all over the back yard!!  Everytime I look outside I think about how we are going to need to be raking, raking, raking so when I wanted to make an art journal page yesterday the first thing that popped into my head was LEAVES.
First step was to take watercolors and paint fall hues onto dictionary paper followed by a liberal dose of splattering. Stamping followed with my handcarved chevron stamps (inspired by Julie Fei-Fan Balzer). 
Then it was time to draw - sketched out some free form leaves and added details with a white ZIG opaque writer.  LOTS of Crystal Effects added the sheen to the leaves (and I do mean LOTS - it took all night to dry!!)
YUP - These leaves are much prettier than the wet, soggy ones in my backyard that include the added potential danger of accidentally stepping on a hidden "dog present" - sigh. . . .
I am linking up to Artists in Blogland and Art Journal Every Day:  November.
Have a great weekend and watch where you step!

15 comments:

Kimberly Jones said...

Stunning! Michelle, this is absolutely beautiful! I LOVE your handcarved stamp! What a gorgeous creation this is!

peggy aplSEEDS said...

how wonderful that even the not so desirable leaves turn into inspiration for a gorgeous journal page. i am sure it is even more amazing in person with the crystal effects on the leaves.
thanks for sharing!
hugs,
peggy aplSEEDS

Becca said...

I love your colorful leaves, especially on the book paper. So nice!

linda (dots n doodles) said...

I love your hand carved stamps and what you have done with them on this piece. Beautiful!

Terrie said...

What a great way to take something that's going on in your life and create something artistic around it. Such a pretty page and every time you see it, you'll remember the raking, raking, raking!

HeARTworks said...

It turned out great! talking about turning trash to treasure! I also love painting on book paper! Patsy from
HeARTworks

Fallingladies said...

This is a great page, love the way it turned out!

Tracey FK said...

This is a great page and the colour palette is just perfect for autumn ... great line work too xx

Molly said...

perfect for fall. at first glance, i thought it was newspaper print you used, but the dictionary is a great idea. and i love the shiny effect on the leaves. it definitely captures those wet leaves in the yard! :-)

Dorien said...

Lovely handcarved stamp! I really like the colours. This page looks great!

Cynthia Schelzig said...

Fab page...love those leaves!!

Novell said...

so fabulous, Michelle!!

Å olanje na domu-Waldorf said...

Love how they shimmer! :) Great work!

coralie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
coralie said...

Thank you to come on my little blog.
I love how you draw, and it's a good source of inspiration for me and my class.
Coralie from France
http://4joursetdemi.eklablog.com/