Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Sketchbook Challenge - CLOSE-UP!

The theme for February at The Sketchbook Challenge is CLOSE UP.  Jill Grace posted this adorable little bug (Quesada Domis - which I believe is some type of cicada) on one of her Pinterest boards the other day and I just had to try my hand at it.
Seriously, who takes pics from the "other side" of the stalk?  People who want their cute pics to go viral - that's who!!
The inspiration pic can be found here.  Did you know that a couple years back I watched a cicada hatch out from a shell in our carport?  It was the most amazing thing - I sat and took pics for about 45 minutes while my husband held the flashlight.  I kept asking him why he wasn't holding it steady until finally I looked back and realized that he was playing football on his phone!  Apparently, he wasn't as amazed by the cicada as I was - here are a few of my favorite pics from that night:

Linking to Art Journal Every Day (Julie Fei-Fan Balzer).

5 comments:

Terrie said...

:) Love your bug! Great piece for close-up...guess I need to get to work and see what I can come up with! Yours is great!

veronica said...

love your highlights on his eyes. it IS a cute shot.
also, your cicada is way cool!

Linda Kunsman said...

that is just too cute! I knew I had to check it out upon seeing the link on Julie Balzer's Journal Every Day page.

RitaJC said...

Amazing! Thanks for sharing!

Karenliz Henderson said...

Love your bug! His eyes are amazing and they look just like the pictures.