Sunday, May 27, 2012

Trip to the museum -

Caleb and I ran to the Evansville Museum of Arts, History & Science while Corey and Connor worked for a few hours yesterday afternoon (Caleb and I definitely got the good end of that deal!).  I wanted to see the art and Caleb wanted to play in the science areas.  Unfortunately for Caleb they closed the science gallery for renovations - and mom(me) wanted to look at "each and every picture" on the walls.  Here's a peek at some of the standouts of the permanent collection - 
GIRL WITH FRUIT
Fernand Leger (1881-1955)
Oil on Canvas 

 MOUNTAINS TO THE NORTH - AUTUMN, LAKE GEORGE, NEW YORK
Georgia O'Keeffe
Oil on Canvas, 1922

 VISAGE
Pablo Picasso
Lithograph, 1928

 PORTRAIT OF A BOY
Pierre-August Renoir
Pastel Drawing

PORTRAIT OF CAROL OWEN COLEMAN
Andy Warhol
Synthetic polymer paint and silkscreen on canvas, 1975 

Self-portrait etching
Rembrandt

Rembrandt

Here is the part that I love - I'm always telling my boys that they should date their artwork.  Caleb refuses since he says that real artists only sign their name and not the date - Check out Rembrandt's signature - it has the date - 1646!!  I think the date is one of the coolest parts of this etching!  There were quite a few of his etchings on display behind glass.  One of the great things about a small museum is that you can really get close and study the work.  Whenever I've visited large museums there are always crowds of people obscuring the view.  Obviously these aren't their well-known works but how often are you that close to pieces by famous people??

4 comments:

veronica said...

i too, like the last one best.
you are fortunate, the Frist in Nashville wouldn't allow cameras near the art.

DJ said...

i haven't been there in a while. this makes me want to go again!

Michelle said...

Michelle, I think sometimes that seeing the lesser known works of great artists is more exciting. Especially when it is a slightly different style to what we know them for. It looks like you had a wonderful time (and the art is beautiful)!

carin.c said...

I feel the same way about dates. My grandfather and his father before him were painters and they always signed with their name and the last two digits of the year, so it is the only way for me.