Saturday, March 16, 2013

Pretty junk papers. . .

Today I decided to make some pretty papers to work with in my art journals.  I've been fighting a bad cold all week and wasn't in the mood for drawing but wanted to do something.
Have you ever taken any of Carla Sonheim's classes?  The idea of using junk mail came from her class JUNK MAIL Artist's Book.  Basically, without giving anything away you use mail that you would normally throw away.
These sheets are brayered with gesso and then watercolored.  Normally, you would proceed with the class at this point but I decided to get out my stencils and spray inks and do a bit more.
This is the inside of a security envelope.  I peeled the plastic window out and plan to use each piece in a different project. 
The only problem is that now I have fingers as inky as my papers and they won't come clean - even tried fingernail polish remover to no avail.  Any hints on how to clean up other than to wear gloves - I NEVER remember to wear gloves!

14 comments:

veronica said...

very cool patterns! looks like it was fun to do.

Shari said...

Nice papers, and sorry about the painted fingers! I use a scrub brush or something like it to clean my fingers off. I like it when the color stays so I can start a conversation with others about my projects.

Unknown said...

I love the softness of your papers. They will make great backgrounds for your beautiful faces. I'm with Shari! Wave your inky fingers with pride! (But it will come off -- dishwashing soap is the best.)

Beansieleigh said...

Very pretty papers, and I am ALL FOR recycling whenever I possibly can!.. As for inky hands, I have yet to find an answer MYSELF! I just try to be careful not to ink-spray on Saturdays, so that I have clean hands for Sunday church service! (0; Hope you're having a great weekend, and Happy St. Patrick's Day! ~tina

denthe said...

Pretty papers .... Looking forward to seeing how you use them. I can't get ink of my fingers either. But it fades .... ;-)

Unknown said...

If I need to get my fingers clean... I use cleanser like ajax or comet w/bleach... It makes your hands very dry, but I use lotion after. Usually I just let it wash away.

pauline said...

don't you love Carla Sonheim's classes? i took an on-line class with her a while ago and loved it. Amazing what you did with junk mail. Those colors are gorgeous. Your past posts are great Michelle! xox

Kate Burroughs said...

I totally recommend the Ranger scrubber. It looks like a pumice stone but is super light and works great to get off ink of all sorts and paint from your hands. Easy peasy with a little soap and water! I love mine.
Aloha, Kate

KarenR said...

LOVE your junk mail reincarnation!! Have you ever tried barrier cream? Made by several different companies. It works!

alarmcat said...

These are great....must give this a try!

peggy aplSEEDS said...

your junk papers look great and look like a lot of fun to do. i know what you mean about inks and paints in your hands. maybe if you put some lotion or petroleum jelly before you paint next time?

Sandy said...

I got told to moisturise your hands before using my inks. Hope this helps. Love the junk mail idea will have to try it.
Sandy :)

Unknown said...

Sam's Club sells boxes of clear gloves which protect the hands in all sorts of situations! Inexpensive too. :-)

robin dudley-howes said...

LOVE those papers!