Tuesday, September 21, 2010

CREATE Blog - Scallop Tutorial

CHECK IT OUT - My scallop tutorial is featured today on the CREATE blog!!
Scallops are all the rage these days!! They are so popular that it is even a challenge on the Moxie Fab blog - Offset Scallop Gallop.
Check out this super cool pillow from Anthropologie that features offset scallops - I wanted to recreate this look with my papercrafting.
I started with several Basic Grey 6"x6" paper pads - These are great to use because the patterns are shrunk down from their normal 12"x12" size. I used a 1 1/2" circle punch to make lots and lots of circles - the best part was that I used the scraps from the paper pads that I can never seem to throw away! This gave them new life and no wasting!
I laid out several circles and made sure I liked the different patterns and colors.
Flipped them over and taped them together using the ruler to make sure that they were aligned properly. Then it is just a matter of adding more tape so that a bit is showing when you turn it back over.
Already, there are lots of pretty patterns and colors showing - whoo hoo!!
See what I mean about the tape showing - that way you can just stick on your next circle and then flip over and add more tape!
When I was done I took a tiny bit of glue and stuck all the scallops down so that I would be sure that none would "escape". After trimming the edges I was left with these beauties!! SO FUN! This is as close as I will ever get to quilting but I got to do it with my favorite medium - PAPER!! Doesn't it remind you of that Anthropologie pillow?
Here is my first finished card but I've got lots of other ideas for the future. If you get a chance to try this technique let me know - I'd love to see what you make!
Stamp from A Muse Artstamps.

5 comments:

Kimberly Jones said...

What a great tutorial Michelle! And congrats on having featured on the CREATE blog! I'll go over and check it out!

jen said...

Look at you!!! Featured on CREATE!! So awesome! Great tutorial too- very handy with the current Moxie challenge... :)
And love that crinkle ribbon- even if it's not pink! Heehee!

JaniceAileen said...

This one's a WINNER! Absolutely gorgeous!

katemade designs said...

very nice. love the ruler and tape I do that kind of stuff all the time and my friends think I'm weird. I think we are both brilliant

Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Editor said...

Hey Michelle! Thanks for entering the Offset Scallop Gallop Challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on the fun! :)