Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Handmade fabric OWLS!!

Did you  miss me?  I haven't posted in more than a week!  That's a long time in my world - we've had lots of family in visiting so things have been super busy.  One of the people in was my cousin Selena who has a great love of all things "owl-y".  While we were out and about on Friday we saw an owl bookend at Books a Million which prompted the following conversation. . .
Selena (excitedly) - "OOooohh - I love that owl bookend!"
Me (nonchalantly) - "Betcha I could make something like that with stuff I have at home."
Selena (daringly) - "Go ahead - I dare ya"
Me - (nervously) - "YIKES - you are actually taking me up on my big crafting talk. . ."
Well - I did it!!  Made my own pattern which is a big deal since I do not sew much at all!!  In fact, I have to dig out my book everytime I need to thread the bobbin.  Selena used to be a consultant for Zag Bags and had lots of fabric samples (even a few leather pieces) that she gave me about a year ago that I've been hanging onto for the perfect project!
The top owl is Selena's - made in her favorite colors complete with a leather beak!  For mass production, I fashioned a paper template for the owls - their dimensions were dictated by the size of my fabric samples.  Since I had no fray stopping stuff (no clue what that stuff is called since I have none of it), I stitched around the wings and beaks before attaching them to the owls.
The eyes were cut from felt with my Nestabilities dies.  The other owls are for my nieces/nephew in Washington state.  All the owls were made over two evenings while visiting with our company.  In fact, there was a fifth "prototype" owl made from the most hideous samples that I had.  After gifting it to the dog, she promptly tore off the beak - how rude!!
I'm linking this post to Artists in Blogland - a new site (to me) of amazing inspiration!

17 comments:

veronica said...

very cool! they look great.
i think you were "dared" to do something the last time they were visiting.
and i think it is called fray check or something like that.

Becky Rusher said...

How cute are these? You are one crafty chick, my friend!

Paige Taylor Evans said...

These are adorable!! My dog would do the same thing...

Šolanje na domu-Waldorf said...

They are so adorable! :) You need to thank Selena for daring you. Keep them coming.

linda (dots n doodles) said...

These are so cute! Good for you in coming up with the design.

Jennibellie said...

Sooooo cute, well done you on creating the pattern, fab job I love all the colours you've mixed on each owl x

Georgie Horn said...

Stopping by from Artists in Blogland.
These are so adorable and my friend Megan would LoVe these!
Come by for some puddin n pie
http://georgie-hornpuddinnpie.blogspot.com/2011/10/tuesday-winner-and-another-giveaway.html

Dorien said...

Love these cute little owls, they look great!

manomij said...

They look so much fun ;-)
manonx

Unknown said...

I love owls and yours are very pretty!!

Tracey FK said...

I like the different combinations of colours and textures... putting them together is an art in itself xx

bohemiannie! art said...

You did a GREAT job!!! These are something to owl about!!! What inspiration for your cousin!

Molly said...

great mix of colors and textures. they look like they'd make great pillows, too!

Molly said...

great mix of colors and textures. they look like they'd make great pillows, too!

Terrie said...

Very clever and totally charming and cuddly. They'll make great gifts - good for you on figuring out how to do it! Visiting from Artists in Blogland....and glad I did.

Jen @Sadie Inspired said...

Oh my...such adorable owls. I love all the color combinations. SO cute!!

The Swinks said...

I LOVE my owl! So glad I dared you, but I really see it as trying to help you reach your full potential.