Monday, July 23, 2012

EDM Challenges 21 - Draw something old, antique or vintage

Do you read Danny Gregory's blog?  Some of my favorite bloggers have mentioned him lately and since I seem to have lived under a rock I checked and found out that not only is he a prolific artist but he has written several books.  A feature of his blog is the EveryDay Matters Challenges. Today's challenge is to draw something old, antique or vintage.
As a young girl I was endlessly fascinated by the little bird I would find deep in the recesses of the china cupboard.  What would be ugly to  most people was fabulous to me - from its BIG open mouth to its broken/glued beak and missing feet.  When I grew up I finally asked my mom where it came from and she said that it had been my grandmother's - a few years later I snagged it for myself where it lives in the kitchen so I can see its quirky beauty daily!  The part that's embarrassing and probably why mom never had it out was that it was originally an ashtray (that and the fact that she is not nearly as charmed by it as I).
Yikes and EEGADS - an ashtray??!!  FYI - He is as clean and shiny as an eclectic old bird can be - no hint of his sordid past remains.
I put my happy bird on a branch - this way we are clear that he isn't waiting for ashes but for worms or maybe a nice fat grub or perhaps a grasshopper. . .
Do you have "a beauty" that you love that nobody else seems to find charming??

6 comments:

Danny Gregory said...

Lovely!

bellefrogworks said...

Love that funky bird - never would have guessed his past was so "dark"!

Kimberly Jones said...

This is just so "Michelle" in every way! Love it! I have an obsession with rusty metal, and I just bought an old metal tool carrier that I love! Thanks for sharing Danny Gregory's blog! I am off to check it out for myself!

pauline said...

What a fabulous little bird!! I love the open mouth... poor little guy - used as a stinky ashtray!! Glad you rescued him and gave him a new life. :-) You have a wonderful illustration style Michelle. xox

veronica said...

i would've guessed him to be one of those sponge holders for the sink.
my fav part is your limb and leaves! looks great outlined with the black pen!

Carolyn Dube said...

Your bird is superb! Perched on a branch is perfect - I can almost see the grasshopper jumping into his beak!