Friday, August 5, 2011

Art Journal - Relaxing Tangles

Here lately I've gotten the urge to tangle again - hadn't done it in quite a while.  In fact, this page started as a few separate "test run" tangles to try new patterns and the next thing you know I decided to fill the entire 8.5" x 11" page - just to see if I could -
it took all afternoon but I DID IT!!  My one ink pen is running dry now - how cool is it to use the ink completely out of a pen?!
This type of doodling is supposed to be relaxing - and it is - when you use common sense and don't spend an entire afternoon hunched over and squinting while you draw.  It is a good thing that I have SO much common sense that I can squander an afternoon's worth and still have plenty left (I hope) -
Look close on the right hand side and see my favorite part of this sketch - See the two little critters?  They represent our two boys!!  Connor had on his Domo t-shirt and I couldn't resist trying my hand at it - even made extra mouths as part of the design. . .
Learned yesterday how to draw the twisty, curvy tangle called "Paradox" that I've admired for a long time and how to make leaves - so they are all over the place - like Kudzu!  This form of artistic expression is really fun and forgiving - if you mess up you can just color that area black and continue on - all you need is paper, a marker or two and a grey pencil for shading - try it!!!

5 comments:

jen said...

you & all your common sense.... can I borrow some?! :D
this is so cool- I LOVE that you used all the ink in your pen on it!!!

Becky Rusher said...

This is awesome, Michelle!

Dina said...

Wooooo...your tangles are awesome! I don't have the hand-steadiness to do that. Very cool! Yep, I'd say those pens will come in handy. lol. Let me know when it arrives!

veronica said...

great idea with the gray pencil for shading! love the depth!

Jan Hunnicutt said...

Oh is this ever cool, love it!